Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
liquid castile won't thicken - help
2011-08-30, 1:42 AM

Ok. I'm a newbie trying to make a facial cleanser. I am using Vermont Soap's Aloe Castile Liquid Soap as my base. It's super liquidy like something that should be in a foamer. I just want it to be thicker so it can be a face and body wash. How can I thicken it? I tried salt. I have tried lecithin. I don't want to cook anything,? On the net I have seen xanthan gum as an option. Would you recommend it and how much would I use/how would I use it to accomplish my goal?
Quote this message in a reply
2011-08-30, 4:48 PM

It's hard to suggest for a product we're not familiar with - it seems like the other suggestions would work. You can also try glycerin.

If you add any citrus oils or citric acid, your product will thin out guaranteed.

Sometimes, the salt solution may only show real results after at least 24 hours. Keep in mind temperature and other working conditions can also affect results.
Find all posts by this user
2011-09-18, 12:52 PM
RE: liquid castile won't thicken - help
As I have been working at this for years, I can tell you that nothing natural will thicken liquid soap. Xanthan gum will make it snotty like, guar gum separates and salt, glycerin and such have no effect whatsoever. I now thicken my liquid soap with a peg.For customers want natural soap that is thick like the commercial product. So I end up with a more natural product than commercial, but not really.
Hope this helps,
Christine.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-05-18, 2:59 PM
You could try guar gum...but it might wind up being a bit...well...snotty...

A few years back there was a craze to make liquid soap in to a Jello for kids, to get them to wash their hands...that might get you to try something new...and colourful?

Shucky Heart

Visit Shucky's Kitchen at shucky.blogspot.com
Find all posts by this user
2012-05-21, 6:00 PM
If this is just for yourself, try a little gelatin dissolved in hot water first. If this is for sale, I wouldn't recommend it.

Irena
Ginger's Garden
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user