ALL ABOUT POWDER FRUIT EXTRACTS
- Powder Fruit Extracts are obtained from fruit juices and purees using modern spray drying technology.
- Powder Fruit Extracts are known to retain all of the originating fruits’ nutrients and healthful qualities.
- Adding Powder Fruit Extracts to natural products enhances their viscosity, texture, and nutrient content.
- Used on the skin, Powder Fruit Extracts are known to promote the growth of newer and healthier cells, hydrate and alleviate the discomforts of dryness, protect against the harsh effects of UV radiation, enhance elasticity, reduce the appearance of redness, irritation, hyperpigmentation, and the signs of aging. They balance the skin tone, regulate oil production, cleanse, clarify, and help prevent acne breakouts.
- Used in hair, Powder Fruit Extracts are known to cleanse, condition, nourish, contribute shine and softness, fortify, soothe, prevent dandruff, and stimulate circulation. They are reputed to prevent hair loss, oiliness, dryness, dullness, as well as the buildup of dirt, resulting in strands that look thicker, voluminous, and more lustrous.
- Used medicinally, Powder Fruit Extracts are believed to enhance immunity, facilitate wound healing, support digestive function and the body’s detoxification, soothe and prevent inflammation, promote the strengthening of muscle tissue, reduce menstrual discomforts, support healthy weight loss, decrease tension, and regulate blood pressure.
HISTORY OF POWDER FRUIT EXTRACTS
Throughout history and since ancient times, extracts from botanicals and fruits have been popular ingredients in natural cosmetics used by various cultures. Extracts, which take several forms including absolutes, tinctures, and powders, can be made by using water or ethanol to “extract” a part of a raw material, but Powder Fruit Extracts are obtained from fruit juices and purees using modern spray drying technology. This method ensures a high-quality product with uniform consistency and improved storage stability. The most common extracts are derived from aromatic flowers, herbs, fruits, nuts, and spices, such as Rose, Vanilla, Peppermint, Spearmint, Orange, Lemon, Almond, Pistachio, Cinnamon, and Ginger.
Although fruit extracts may not necessarily retain the aromas of their originating fruits or exude any obvious scent at all, they are known to retain all of the fruits’ nutrients and healthful qualities; thus, when added to natural, water-based cosmetic formulations, they still contribute nourishing benefits even if they do not add any natural fragrance. Due to the concentrated nature of extracts, they need only be added to formulas in small amounts, as their potency yields considerable results. The powdered fruit extracts offered by New Directions Aromatics are ideal ingredients for quickly and easily adding the natural benefits of fruits to refreshing recipes for moisturizers, face masks, soaps, conditioners, lotions, toners, scrubs, and rinses, among other water-based recipes. Furthermore, their addition also enhances the viscosity, texture, and nutrient richness of natural products.
This article highlights the various cosmetic and therapeutic properties and benefits of NDA’s Powder Fruit Extracts as well as several safe uses.
BENEFITS OF POWDER FRUIT EXTRACTS
Rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, natural sugars, proteins, polyphenols, carotenoids, and various other natural elements and compounds that are beneficial to general health, Powder Fruit Extracts are known to promote the skin’s renewal for a rejuvenated complexion. They are reputed to have exfoliating properties, which not only remove dead, dull, and flaky skin cells but that also promote the growth of newer and healthier skin, resulting in skin that looks and feels smoother, firmer, softer, brighter, and more evenly-toned. Their emollience helps to hydrate and alleviate the discomforts of dry skin while protecting it against the harsh effects of UV radiation.
Powder Fruit Extracts can support the growth, strength, health, and function of collagen, thereby enhancing elasticity and helping to reduce the appearance of the signs of aging, such as wrinkles, age spots, and other blemishes. The anti-inflammatory quality of many powder fruit extracts helps to reduce the appearance of redness and irritation. They gently moisturize, soothe the symptoms of skin ailments, such as eczema and psoriasis, balance the skin tone to even out suntans, hyperpigmentation, and other types of discoloration, including dark under-eye circles. They regulate oil production, remove blackheads, cleanse and clarify, and help prevent acne breakouts. They are reputed to soften even dehydrated areas of skin that are parched to the point of cracking or peeling and, when used on the nails, they are believed to simultaneously strengthen and soften.
Used in hair, Powder Fruit Extracts are known to cleanse, condition, nourish, fortify, soften, contribute shine, prevent dandruff, and stimulate circulation to encourage healthy new growth. They are reputed to prevent hair loss, oiliness, dryness, dullness, and the buildup of dirt. As a result, fruit extract-enriched haircare products are known to leave hair looking thicker, voluminous, and more lustrous.
Used medicinally, Powder Fruit Extracts are commonly used to enhance immunity, facilitate wound healing, support digestive function and the body’s detoxification, soothe and prevent inflammation, address conditions such as ringworm, promote the renewal and strengthening of muscle tissue, reduce menstrual discomforts, support healthy weight loss, decrease stress and tension, and regulate blood pressure.
Fruit extracts with astringent, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties are reputed to help facilitate the healing of open wounds by promoting their contraction, purifying the affected area of skin, and preventing harmful bacteria and environmental pollutants from entering the body through the abrasion.
As illustrated, Powder Fruit Extracts are reputed to have many therapeutic properties. The following highlights their many benefits and the kinds of activity they are believed to show:
- COSMETIC: Astringent, Anti-bacterial, Anti-inflammatory, Antioxidant, Balancing, Brightening, Collagen-Enhancing, Cleansing, Clarifying, Conditioning, Exfoliating, Firming, Hydrating, Rejuvenating, Reparative, Soothing, Strengthening, Smoothing, Softening, Stimulating
- MEDICINAL: Astringent, Anti-bacterial, Anti-inflammatory, Antioxidant, Balancing, Reparative, Soothing, Strengthening, Stimulating, Wound-Healing
USES OF POWDER FRUIT EXTRACTS
When incorporating powdered fruit extracts into natural product formulations, it is recommended that the amount of extract not exceed 0.5% of the total product. If they are being used to make tinctures, the amount of fruit extract should not exceed 5%.
For a facial toner that helps support the skin’s suppleness and natural radiance, combine the following ingredients in a 100 ml spray bottle: 100 ml (3.50 oz.) Floral Water, 2 drops Essential Oil, 2 drops Solubilizer (Polysorbate 20) Raw Material, and ¼ tsp. Powder Fruit Extract. Cap the bottle and shake it well before spritzing the resultant spray lightly onto the face and allowing it to air dry.
For a face mask that has protective qualities and is known to hydrate the skin while repairing damage caused by environmental stressors, such as the elements, begin by thoroughly combining the following ingredients in a bowl: 1 ½ tsp. Green French Clay, 1 tsp. Powder Fruit Extract, ½ tsp. Kaolin Facial Scrub Superfine, 1 ½ Tbsp. Aloe Vera Gel Juice, and 1 Tbsp. Floral Water of personal preference. To use this mask, simply spread a thin layer over the face with the fingers and allow the mask to dry for no longer than 20 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. This mask is known to soothe irritation and redness and to energize tired skin.
To make a strengthening, conditioning, and reparative shampoo that is reputed to help balance oil production while soothing itchiness and irritation, combine the following ingredients in a 100 ml (3.50 oz.) shampoo dispenser bottle: 100 ml Shampoo Base, 0.1 g Powder Fruit Extract, and 2 ml (0.06 oz.) essential oil of personal preference. Cap the bottle, shake it well to thoroughly combine all the ingredients, then apply it to the scalp and hair as usual in the shower. This natural shampoo blend is known to address dandruff, strengthen dull and brittle strands, and hydrate frizz for smoother and softer curls.
To create a bath bomb, begin by combining the following ingredients in a large bowl: 2 cups Baking Soda, 1 cup Citric Acid, and 1 Tbsp. Buttermilk Powder. Thoroughly mix all the powders together until any clumps have returned to their loose powder forms. In a separate bowl, dilute 12 drops of an essential oil of personal preference in 1 Tbsp. of any carrier oil. Next, pour this mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix everything together thoroughly. The addition of oils will likely lead to the formation of clumps in the powder mixture, and these clumps should be gently broken to ensure even distribution of the oil blend. Stir in ¼ tsp. Powder Fruit Extract, then spray the entire mixture with Witch Hazel or any other Floral Water, quickly mixing it into the powder with each spritz to prevent the mixture from fizzing. Spray only enough to allow the powder to hold its shape, at which point it can be transferred and packed lightly into a mold of personal preference. Once the mixture takes the shape of the mold, remove the compacted shapes and allow them to dry for 12-24 hours in an area with low humidity. To use these bath bombs, simply drop one into a bathtub filled with enough warm water for an adult-sized bath. Enter the tub once the entire bomb has dissolved. These bath bombs should be used within the month. Some suggestions for fruit powder and essential oil combinations include Mango Fruit Powder with Orange Essential Oil, Pineapple Fruit Powder with Lavender Essential Oil, and Strawberry Fruit Powder with Lime Essential Oil.
A GUIDE TO POWDER FRUIT EXTRACTS & THEIR BENEFITS
PAPAYA POWDER FRUIT EXTRACT
Botanical Name: Carica papaya
Country of Origin: India
- Be a free-flowing powder that ranges in color from cream to a pale yellowish-orange
- Be excellent for balancing the oiliness of the skin and for exfoliating dry areas
- Promote the appearance of a rejuvenated complexion, when used in skin care products
- Contain Vitamin A, which helps to reveal the next layer of the skin to promote the complexion’s natural radiance
- Contain Vitamin C, an antioxidant with smoothing and softening qualities
BANANA POWDER FRUIT EXTRACT
Botanical Name: Musa spp.
Country of Origin: India
- Be a fine powder of a pale, creamy shade of yellow
- Exude the aroma of pureed bananas
- Be rich in Potassium and Vitamin A
- Be ideal for use on dry or sensitive skin, such as in the form of a dry facial mask or scrub
MANGO POWDER FRUIT EXTRACT
Botanical Name: Mangifera indica
Country of Origin: India
- Be made from spray-dried mangoes and to have the scent of dehydrated mangoes
- Be a fine, creamy-yellow powder
- Be high in Vitamin A, C, beta-Carotene, Potassium, Iron, Phosphorus, and Calcium
- Prevent the appearance of fine lines, the drying and deterioration of skin, and to maintain elasticity
- Be ideal for addition to recipes for soaps, dry products, facial masks, and body wraps
- Be refreshing and gentle enough for use on any skin type, especially dry or sensitive skin
STRAWBERRY POWDER FRUIT EXTRACT
Botanical Name: Fragaria spp.
Country of Origin: India
- Be a fine powder that ranges in color from reddish-pink to purple
- Have the scent of fresh strawberries
- Be rich in Polyphenols, Potassium, Iron, Phosphorus, Calcium and Vitamins A and C
- Provide protection for the skin and to have soothing properties
- Make a wonderful toner that helps to reduce the appearance of enlarged pores
- Suit any skin type and to be ideal for addition to formulations for facial masks, body wraps, and scrubs
PINEAPPLE POWDER FRUIT EXTRACT
Botanical Name: Ananas comosus
Country of Origin: India
- Be a free-flowing powder that ranges in color from bright yellow to yellow
- Contain the fruit enzyme Bromelain, which is known to reduce inflammation
- Be an effective exfoliant that sloughs off dead cells on the surface of the skin
- Exhibit astringent properties, making it ideal for use in facial toners
GUAVA FRUIT EXTRACT
Botanical Name: Psidium guajava
Country of Origin: India
- Be a fine powder that is pale yellow in appearance
- Be revered for both its vitamin content and its ability to slow the signs of aging
- Help prevent the deterioration of the skin
- Be ideal for addition to hair care products due to its natural fiber content
CONTRAINDICATIONS FOR POWDER FRUIT EXTRACTS
As with all other New Directions Aromatics products, Powder Fruit Extracts are for external use only. It is imperative to consult a medical practitioner before using these products for therapeutic purposes. Pregnant and nursing women are especially advised not to use Powder Fruit Extracts without the medical advice of a physician, as they may have an effect on certain hormone secretions and it is unclear whether these effects are transferable to babies at these stages of development. These products should always be stored in an area that is inaccessible to children, especially those under the age of 7.
Those with the following health conditions are recommended to be advised by a physician: cancer, skin disorders, bleeding disorders, hormone-related ailments, and conditions of the heart, liver, or kidney. Individuals that are taking prescription drugs, undergoing major surgery, or who are at a greater risk of experiencing strokes, heart attacks, or atherosclerosis are also advised to seek medical consultation prior to use.
Prior to using Powder Fruit Extracts, a skin test is recommended. This can be done by diluting 1 tsp. of the preferred Powder Fruit Extract in 1 tsp. distilled water and applying a dime-size amount of this blend to a small area of skin that is not sensitive. Due to their water-solubility, Powder Fruit Extracts will not dissolve in oil. For information about incorporating these extracts into cosmetic formulations, click here. To prepare tinctures for cosmetic applications, click here. For a Fruit Extracts Solubility Chart, click here.
Powder Fruit Extracts must never be used near the eyes, inner nose, and ears, or on any other particularly sensitive areas of skin. Potential side effects of Powder Fruit Extracts include skin irritation or discoloration, rash, hives, swelling or tenderness on the mouth, lips, or cheeks, headaches, dizziness, drowsiness, nerve damage, fever, chills, nasal congestion, wheezing, breathing difficulties, chest pain, throat irritation, increased thirst, nausea, heightened or lowered blood sugar levels, bloody nose, irregular heartbeat, vomiting, gas, indigestion, cramping, constipation, diarrhea, excess menstrual flow, and frequent urination.
Those seeking medical care to manage moods, behaviors, or disorders should treat these products as a complementary remedy rather than a replacement for any medicinal treatments or prescriptions. In the event of an allergic reaction, discontinue use of these products and see a doctor, pharmacist, or allergist immediately for a health assessment and appropriate remedial action. To prevent side effects, consult with a medical professional prior to use.
New Directions Aromatics Inc.
All rights reserved.