HOW TO USE HEMP OIL FOR SKIN & HAIR
- Thanks to its natural nourishing composition and accompanying properties, Hemp Oil is quickly becoming a celebrated cosmetic ingredient.
- Two basic varieties of Hemp Oil exist: Unrefined and Refined. Unrefined, cold-pressed Hemp Oil (also known Virgin Hemp Oil) is minimally processed and preserves the beneficial fats, vitamins, and minerals found in the Hemp Seed. Refined Hemp Oil, however, has a longer shelf life and exudes a milder, less nutty scent.
- Like other carrier oils, Hemp Oil can be used 'as is' on the skin, hair, and nails in order to benefit from its enriching moisturizing and soothing effects.
- A highly versatile oil, Hemp Oil can be easily incorporated in various formulations for cosmetic products, as well as at-home beauty and skin care remedies.
WHAT IS HEMP SEED OIL? A RECAP
Hemp Oil, also known as Hemp Seed Oil, is rising as a star ingredient in natural and mainstream cosmetics. Not be confused with CBD or Marijuana Oil, Hemp Oil is derived from the seeds of the Cannabis sativa plant, which contain negligible levels of psychoactive THC and CBD. As a result, the oil does not induce any narcotic effects and is currently used in a diverse range of applications - from skin care, to cooking, to maintaining one's health and overall well-being.
Full of nourishing lipids, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, Hemp Oil has now earned a well-deserved spot in many beauty routines as well as cosmetic and personal care products. It is especially known for having high levels of polyunsaturated fatty acids, such as Gamma-Linolenic Acid (Omega-6) and Alpha-Linolenic Acid (Omega-3) that are optimally balanced, giving rise to exceptional moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties. In addition to its beautifying and anti-aging uses, Hemp Oil has also built a reputation for being helpful in a variety of common skin ailments, such as dry skin, acne, eczema, psoriasis, scars, and too much oil production.
To learn more about the history, uses, and benefits of this captivating carrier oil, we invite you to read our in-depth blog post here.
ESSENTIAL HEMP OIL TIPS - FOR BEAUTY & FORMULATING
- Hemp Oil can be applied directly onto the face, body, scalp, or hair strands for instant conditioning. Hemp Seed Butter is also a wonderful alternative that can be used for baby-soft skin.
- Unrefined, cold-pressed Hemp Oil (also called Virgin Hemp Oil) is best for skincare and home use purposes as it will have the highest levels of beneficial lipids and vitamins. It is typically olive-green in color and will give off a more intense scent, and care must be taken to store it in a cool, dark place (such as a fridge) to avoid it from quickly going rancid.
- Both refined and unrefined Hemp Oil may be used in natural and cosmetic formulations depending on their respective advantages. If a longer shelf life and the milder scent is desired, refined Hemp Oil may be better suited for your needs.
- For premium, moisturizing natural products, Organic Virgin Hemp Oil is also an excellent choice.
- Due to its non-comedogenic nature, Hemp Oil is suitable for all skin types, including oily skin. It is particularly beneficial for those with dry or mature skin.
- To remove makeup, wash hands thoroughly before applying a bit of Hemp Oil onto your fingertips. Gently massage your face in circles to dissolve all makeup and impurities. Rinse well.
- To brighten and exfoliate dull skin, mix 2 tablespoons of Hemp Oil with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar into a paste. While in the shower, use the mixture to gently scrub away dead skin cells and dirt.
- Hemp Oil is great for massaging and soothing dry, cracked, tired, or ashy feet, especially during the winter season.
- Hemp Oil can be applied directly to refresh dry cuticles and nails and make them shine. You can also 'bathe' your nails by soaking them in a small bowl filled with Hemp Oil for a more intensive soothing effect.
- Hemp Oil is an excellent remedy for dull or limp hair that lacks vibrancy, as well as itchy or dry scalps. A small amount of oil can be mixed with a one-time portion of either your shampoo or conditioner and used straight away.
- It is important to conduct a skin patch test prior to using Hemp Oil. To do this, massage a dime-size amount to a small area of skin that is not sensitive, and monitor for any unwanted reactions within 24 hours.
HEMP OIL RECIPES FOR GLOWING SKIN & HAIR
Heavenly Hemp Hand Cream
This rich, buttery Hemp Oil hand cream is perfect for dry or parched hands (or feet), especially at night before going to bed. Due to its thickness, it is best packaged in a jar. This recipe will make 200 g (7.1 oz) of cream.
|Distilled Water||113 g (4.0 oz)|
|Hemp Oil||44 g (1.55 oz)|
|Shea Butter||16 g (0.56 oz)|
|Stearic Acid||6 g (0.21 oz)|
|Emulsifying Wax||18 g (0.63 oz)|
|Broad-spectrum Preservative||1 g (0.04 oz)|
|Essential oil or fragrance||2 g (0.07 oz)|
Instructions: Combine the Hemp Oil with the Emulsifying Wax, Shea Butter, and Stearic Acid in a heat-resistant container. In another heat-resistant container, pour in the distilled water. Heat both containers (you may use a double boiler or water bath) until the waxes, butter, and oils have thoroughly melted, and the water phase reaches its boiling point. Heat for about 20 minutes. Next, pour the water phase into the oils, butter, and melted wax, and blend well. Keep blending or stirring until the formulation has cooled. Once cooled down, you may add in your Broad-Spectrum Preservative and choice of Essential Oils or Fragrance. Mix well.
Hemp & Hyaluronic Miracle Moisturizer
Hemp Oil and Hyaluronic Acid are perfectly paired together in this facial moisturizer recipe for their deeply hydrating and anti-aging effects. This recipe features low-molecular weight Hyaluronic Acid in the form of Sodium Hyaluronate, which can penetrate the skin's deeper layers for more intensive hydration. Combined with Hemp Oil as an occlusive, this daily moisturizer will result in beautifully soft and pampered skin. This recipe will make 100 g (3.53 oz) of lotion.
|Distilled Water||52.5 g (1.85 oz)|
|1% Sodium Hyaluronate Solution (see instructions)||20 g (0.71 oz)|
|Hemp Oil||18 g (0.63 oz)|
|Emulsifying Wax||8 g (0.28 oz)|
|Liquid Extract of your choice (such as Green Tea Extract)||0.5 g (0.02 oz)|
|Broad-spectrum Preservative||0.5 g (0.02 oz)|
|Essential oil or fragrance||0.5 g (0.02 oz)|
Instructions: To incorporate Sodium Hyaluronate into the formulation without clumping, make a 1% Sodium Hyaluronate Solution first. Add 0.2 g of Sodium Hyaluronate Raw Material to 19.8 g of Distilled Water, cover, and monitor until the white powder almost disappears. Mix well.
Next, combine the Hemp Oil with the Emulsifying Wax in a heat-resistant container. In another heat-resistant container, pour in the distilled water and 1% Sodium Hyaluronate solution and stir. Heat both containers (you may use a double boiler or water bath) until the waxes and oils have thoroughly melted, and the water phase reaches its boiling point. Heat for about 20 minutes. Next, pour the water phase into the oil phase, and blend well. Keep blending or stirring until the formulation has cooled. Once cooled down, you may add in your preferred Liquid Extract, Preservative, and Essential Oils. Mix well.
Luscious Coconut Hemp Body Lotion
This thick, soothing body lotion combines the nourishing powers of both Hemp Oil and Coconut Oil. It is especially good for intense moisturizing, calming down flare-ups, and skin-clarifying, like Coconut Oil, has natural anti-microbial properties. This recipe will make 500 g (17.6 oz) of lotion.
|Distilled Water||352.5 g (12.43 oz)|
|Hemp Oil||50 g (1.76 oz)|
|Coconut Oil||25 g (0.88 oz)|
|Cocoa Butter||25 g (0.88 oz)|
|Stearic Acid||15 g (0.53 oz)|
|Emulsifying Wax||25 g (0.88 oz)|
|Broad-spectrum Preservative||2.5 g (0.09 oz)|
|Essential oil or fragrance||5 g (0.18 oz)|
Instructions: Combine the Hemp and Coconut Oil with the Emulsifying Wax, Cocoa Butter, and Stearic Acid in a heat-resistant container. In another heat-resistant container, pour in the distilled water. Heat both containers (you may use a double boiler or water bath) until the waxes, butter, and oils have thoroughly melted, and the water phase reaches its boiling point. Heat for about 20 minutes. Next, pour the water phase into the oils, butter, and melted wax, and blend well. Keep blending or stirring until the formulation has cooled. Once cooled down, you may add in your Broad-Spectrum Preservative and choice of Essential Oils or Fragrance. Mix well.
Beautifying Hemp Body Butter
This divine, delicious-looking body butter will absorb effortlessly into the skin for lasting hydration. It is extremely easy to make and does not need a broad-spectrum preservative as it does not use water. Store in a jar in a fairly cool place.
|Shea Butter||1/2 cup|
|Cocoa Butter||1/2 cup|
|Hemp Oil||1/2 cup|
|Sweet Almond Oil||1/4 cup|
|Essential Oil||15 drops|
Instructions: Combine the Hemp and Sweet Almond Oil with the Shea and Cocoa Butter in a heat-resistant container. Heat (you may use a double boiler or water bath) until the butter and oils have thoroughly melted. Remove from the heat and wait until the mixture has cooled down before adding your choice of Essential Oils. Stir and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours to allow the body butter to solidify. Then, using a hand mixture, whip the ingredients together until the butter reaches a fluffy, creamy consistency.
Heavy Duty Hemp Scrub (For Men)
This invigorating and exfoliating salt scrub gives off a fresh and woodsy aroma and is perfect for men. The Hemp Oil makes this scrub wonderfully moisturizing while the selection of Essential Oils will help clean, heal, and nourish the skin. The mixture can be stored in a glass container with a tight-fitting lid; use only a little at a time.
|Sea Salt||1 cup|
|Hemp Oil||6 tablespoons|
|Eucalyptus Essential Oil||1 drop|
|Cedarwood Essential Oil||1 drop|
|Lavender Essential Oil||1 drop|
Instructions: Add the sea salt first into a glass container. Then, pour in the Hemp Oil before adding your essential oils. Stir until the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Seal tightly.
Tea Tree Hemp Natural Shampoo
Known for its natural skin-clarifying properties, Tea Tree Essential Oil is useful for helping to eliminate dandruff and product build-up from the scalp and ultimately contribute to hair growth. Combined with the soothing, moisturizing effects of Hemp Oil, this all-natural shampoo will provide some much-needed cleansing and nourishment to your hair.
|Shampoo Base||1 cup|
|Hemp Oil||2 tablespoons|
|Tea Tree Essential Oil||5 drop|
Instructions: With the help of a funnel, add the Shampoo Base into a small pump bottle, followed by the Hemp Oil and Tea Tree Oil. Close tightly and shake vigorously. Use as normal, followed by your preferred conditioner.
Healthy Hair Hemp Serum
This conditioning Hemp hair serum recipe can be used on both dry or wet strands and is designed especially for healthier-looking hair. Hemp Oil and Coconut Oil, paired with the more lightweight Grapeseed Oil, works together to tame frizz, add shine, and soften the hair strands. The selected Essential Oils will further help revitalize the appearance of dry or damaged hair.
|Hemp Oil||2 tablespoons|
|Coconut Oil||1 tablespoon|
|Grapeseed Oil||1 tablespoon|
|Geranium Essential Oil||5 drops|
|Rosemary Essential Oil||5 drops|
|Lavender Essential Oil||5 drops|
Instructions: With the help of a funnel, pour the carrier oils into an amber glass dropper bottle. Add the essential oils and close tightly before shaking well. To use, warm up a few drops of the serum in between your fingertips and smooth through hair strands.
A GUIDE TO HEMP OIL VARIETIES & THEIR BENEFITS
|HEMP OIL VARIETY & BOTANICAL NAME||COUNTRY OF ORIGIN||REPUTED BENEFITS|
|HEMP SEED - REFINED CARRIER OIL
|HEMP SEED CARRIER OIL (UNREFINED)
|HEMP SEED ORGANIC CARRIER OIL (UNREFINED)
HEMP OIL SIDE EFFECTS
As with all other New Directions Aromatics products, Hemp Carrier Oil is for external use only. It is imperative to consult a medical practitioner before using this oil for therapeutic purposes. Pregnant and nursing women are especially advised not to use Hemp Carrier Oil without the medical advice of a physician, as it may have an effect on certain hormone secretions and it is unclear whether these effects are transferable to babies at these stages of development. The oil should always be stored in an area that is inaccessible to children, especially those under the age of 7.
Those with the following health conditions are recommended to be advised by a physician: cancer, heart-related ailments, skin disorders, hormone-related ailments, hypertension, or any chronic health condition. Individuals that are taking prescription drugs, undergoing major surgery, or who are at a greater risk of experiencing strokes, heart attacks, or atherosclerosis are also advised to seek medical consultation prior to use.
Prior to using Hemp Oil, a skin test is recommended. This can be done by applying a dime-size amount of this oil to a small area of skin that is not sensitive. Hemp Oil must never be used near the inner nose and ears or on any other particularly sensitive areas of skin. Potential side effects of Hemp Oil include irritation of the skin, cramps, and diarrhea.
Those seeking medical care to manage moods, behaviors, or disorders should treat this Carrier Oil as a complementary remedy rather than a replacement for any medicinal treatments or prescriptions. In the event of an allergic reaction, discontinue use of the product and see a doctor, pharmacist, or allergist immediately for a health assessment and appropriate remedial action. To prevent side effects, consult with a medical professional prior to use.
Interested in discovering more about the Hemp Seed Carrier Oil? Learn more by reading our article on Hemp Seed Oil uses, composition, history, and benefits here.
New Directions Aromatics Inc.
All rights reserved.