ESSENTIAL OIL RECIPES FOR STAYING COOL IN THE SUMMER
- Essential Oils for Summertime
- Carrier Oils for Sun Protection
- Recipes for Staying Cool and Safe
- Summer-Inspired Diffuser Blends
- Additional Tips for Summer
Sun-lovers rejoice! Summer is upon us, with the first official day falling on June 21st. After the long Winter months and unpredictable Spring weather, many people look forward to beach days, hikes, vacations, and a plethora of other summer activities. The warmth and vibrancy of the sun is a welcomed mood-booster and a natural source of Vitamin D. However, the glorious sunshine does not come without risks. The sun emits UVA and UVB rays that can cause sunburns. Aside from being painful, skin damage caused by the sun can lead to peeling, dryness, premature aging, discoloration, and even skin cancer. Another inconvenient byproduct of summertime is mosquito bites, which present their own set of irritation and potential health risk.
Sunscreen and bug repellents are staples for the scorching hot season. However, while these products can easily be found on the shelves of drugstores, many of them contain harsh chemicals that seep into the skin, and can potentially cause irritation, reactions, and other health concerns. Essential Oils and Carrier Oils have been used for hundreds of years to ward off the harsh effects of environmental elements. With just a handful of simple, natural ingredients, you can protect yourself and your family from insect bites, sun damage, and even achieve cooling relief from a heat wave!
ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SUMMERTIME
Essential Oils possess antioxidant and astringent properties that can aid in soothing the skin after sun exposure, protecting the skin from the sun's harmful rays, and repelling insects. The following Essential Oils can be included in homemade mineral sunscreen, mixed into a safe bug repellent spray, or diffused to keep insects at bay.
Lavender Essential Oil - A reputed antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory, Lavender possesses active ingredients that can promote recovery from sunburn. It also possesses a small SPF of 6, making it a beneficial ingredient in natural sunscreen recipes.
Peppermint Essential Oil - High in menthol, Peppermint Oil is cooling and penetrating, ideal for cooling the skin after prolonged sun exposure. Peppermint is also an astringent and can act as an insect repellent.
Tea Tree Essential Oil - Praised for its antiseptic, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties, Tea Tree Oil can ease the appearance and irritation of existing bug bites while also repelling mosquitoes, bush flies, and biting midges.
Citronella Essential Oil - Mosquitos are known to have a natural aversion to the scent of Citronella. It also possesses antifungal properties that can prevent harmful fungus and bacteria from developing.
Sandalwood Essential Oil - Sandalwood possesses soothing properties that can cool the skin after a long day in the sun, reducing inflammation.
Orange Essential Oil - This citrus oil's vibrant scent pairs beautifully with other complementary oils for a summer-inspired diffuser blend. Orange Oil also has the potential to repel mosquitos and other bugs.
Eucalyptus Lemon Essential Oil - Similar to Citronella, Eucalyptus Lemon is a known natural bug repellent, having been used as early as the 1940's.
CARRIER OILS FOR SUN PROTECTION
Many Carrier Oils possess a small Sun Protection Factor along with an array of other benefits that keep skin looking and feeling healthy. Choose one or more of the following Carrier Oils and pair them with skin-soothing Essential oils and Zinc Oxide to create a homemade natural sunscreen free of harsh chemicals.
- Coconut Carrier Oil (SPF: 4-5)
- Jojoba Carrier Oil (SPF: 4)
- Sesame Carrier Oil (SPF: 4)
- Avocado Carrier Oil (SPF: 15)
- Raspberry Seed Carrier Oil: (SPF: 28-50)
- Sweet Almond Carrier Oil (SPF: 5)
- Carrot Seed Carrier Oil (SPF: 38-40)
RECIPES FOR STAYING COOL AND SAFE IN THE SUMMER
1. HOMEMADE SUNSCREEN (source: Aroma Tools)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. (14 g) Beeswax Pellets
- 1 Tbsp. (14 g) Shea Butter
- 2 heaping Tbsp. (45 g) Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) Jojoba Oil or Sweet Almond Oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. (20 g) Zinc Oxide
- 1/4 tsp. (1–2 ml) Vitamin E Oil
- 10 drops Helichrysum Essential Oil
- 10–15 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- Lotion Bottle or 4 oz bottle with snap top
- Double boiler
- Melt the beeswax and shea butter in the double boiler. You can also place a heat-resistant glass dish in a pot of boiling water.
- Once melted, add the Coconut Oil and your choice of Carrier Oil. Stir until evenly combined, then remove from heat.
- Let stand for a few minutes to cool. Then add the Vitamin E Oil and Essential Oils and stir.
- Slowly add Zinc Oxide. Whisk it in, continuing until it is fully blended into the mixture. Avoid inhaling the Zinc Oxide.
- our mixture into containers. Allow to cool before applying to the skin.
2. COOLING ALOE VERA PEPPERMINT LOTION (source: Aroma Tools)
- 1/4 cup beeswax pellets
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup aloe vera gel
- 10–20 drops peppermint essential oil
- 12 oz glass jar or PET plastic jar
- Handheld or stand electric mixer
- In a medium-sized glass bowl, place the beeswax and heat it in the microwave until it is about 80% melted. You can also place the bowl on top of a pot of boiling water to create a double boiler effect.
- Add the Coconut Oil and melt with the remainder of the beeswax.
- Remove from the heat and let stand for about an hour until it cools to room temperature.
- Once cool, add the Aloe Vera gel and Peppermint Essential Oil. Mix with a handheld or stand electric mixer for a few minutes until evenly blended and fluffy.
- Place lotion in a 12 oz PET plastic or glass jar with a wide-mouth lid.
- Store at room temperature (65–72 degrees) or in the refrigerator.
3. NATURAL BUG REPELLING SPRAY (source: Aroma Outfitters)
- 1/2 cup Witch Hazel
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 20-25 drops Essential Oil or oils of choice (just make sure it has bug-repelling properties. See Essential Oil list above)
- 8 oz glass or PET plastic spray bottle
- Pour the witch hazel, apple cider vinegar, and Essential Oil(s) into the spray bottle. Shake to combine.
4. SOOTHING SUMMER SKIN SPRAY (source: Aroma Tools)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Aloe Vera Gel
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Witch Hazel
- 1/2 Tbsp (7.5 ml) Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 5 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 2 drops Melaleuca Essential Oil
- 3 drops Frankincense Essential Oil (optional)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) distilled water
- 8-oz glass spray bottle
- Combine all the oils and liquids except the distilled water. Stir well until evenly combined.
- Pour mixture into spray bottle. Add the distilled water and shake to combine.
- Spray onto skin when in need of cool relief. Shake before use.
5. SUN-PROTECTING HAIR SPRAY (source: Doterra)
- 1 cup distilled water
- Two tsp sunscreen lotion of at least 25 SPF
- 3-4 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- Glass or PET plastic spray bottle
- Dilute the sunscreen lotion by stirring 2 teaspoons into the distilled water.
- Add the drops of Rosemary Essential Oil and stir.
- Pour mixture into the spray bottle and shake before use.
- Spray onto hair shaft to protect your hair color from fading. To protect your scalp, be sure to apply to your part and close to the roots.
6. COOLING BODY POWDER (Aroma Web)
- 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 4 oz Arrowroot Powder (or non-GMO Cornstarch)
- 4 oz powder sifter container
- Add the Arrowroot Powder and/or Non-GMO Cornstarch to a large mixing bowl.
- After you have placed your powdered ingredients into the mixing bowl, add two drops of the Lavender Essential Oil and begin whisking. Repeat until you have thoroughly and evenly incorporated all 10 drops into the powder.
- Place your Aromatherapy Body Powder in a Body Powder Sifter Container.
SUMMER-INSPIRED DIFFUSER BLENDS (source: Eve Hansen)
1. TROPI-CALI CITRUS BLEND - California is the epitome of summer vibes, so diffuse an oil blend reminiscent of the golden coast's juicy citrus and soft sand!
- 2 drops Orange Essential Oil
- 2 drops Sandalwood Essential Oil
- 2 drops Grapefruit
STARLIT BEACH BLEND - This gentle blend is perfect for diffusing on summer nights as you dream about the calming ocean and deep blue sky.
- 2 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 2 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 2 drops Grapefruit Essential Oil
- 2 drops Spearmint
ADDITIONAL TIPS FOR STAYING COOL AND SAFE IN THE SUMMER
1. Apply a sufficient amount of sunscreen 15-30 minutes prior to sun exposure.
Before heading outside to go swimming, play sports, or go for a hike, ensure you give your sunscreen enough time to absorb into your skin, so it can offer the maximum amount of protection from the sun's damaging rays. Don't forget to apply easy-to-miss spots such as the ears, scalp, and tops of the feet.
2. Reapply sunscreen every 40-80 minutes, especially when swimming or sweating.
Sunscreen will wear off sooner when swimming or doing activities that cause excessive sweating. Taking a moment to reapply throughout the day will ensure continued protection.
3. Drink plenty of water.
Increased sun exposure will dehydrate the body at a faster rate. Maintaining adequate hydration levels will prevent overheating and illness while sustaining you for all your summer endeavors.
4. Cover Up with Hats and Clothing.
Covering your face, shoulders, and legs with breathable clothing can provide even more protection to sensitive areas, reducing the overall amount of UVA and UVB rays absorbed by the skin.
CONTRAINDICATIONS FOR ESSENTIAL AND CARRIER OILS
As with all other New Directions Aromatics products, the Essential Oils and Carrier Oils mentioned are for external use only. They should not be ingested and should not be stored within the reach of children, in case of accidental ingestion. As with Essential and Carrier Oils, a patch test should be conducted on the inner arm or another generally insensitive area of skin, using a dime-size amount of the specified oil to check for sensitivities. An absence of an allergic response within 48 hours suggests that the oil is safe to use.
The topical application of most carrier oils is generally known to be safe with responsible use, but irritations, allergies, rashes, and other side effects are possible. In the chance of an allergic reaction, discontinue the use of the product and see a doctor, pharmacist, or allergist immediately for a health assessment and appropriate remedial action. To prevent side effects, consult with a medical professional prior to use.
Essential or carrier oils must never be used near the eyes, inner nose, and ears, or on any other particularly sensitive areas of skin.
- Carrier OilsView our complete range of Carrier Oils
- Essential OilsView our complete range of Essential Oils
Citronella Organic Essential Oil
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $1031.25 (44lbs)
Eucalyptus Lemon Essential Oil (Brazil)
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $4665.79 (396lbs)
Orange Bitter (Sicily) Essential Oil
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $1687.50 (44lbs)
Blood Orange (Sicily) Essential Oil
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $4741.58 (396lbs)
Orange Essential Oil (Sweet)
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $3957.63 (396lbs)
Orange Essential Oil (5 Fold)
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $2717.11 (220lbs)
Orange Organic Essential Oil (Sweet)
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $4559.21 (396lbs)
Sandalwood Essential Oil (Australian)
USD $24.99 (1/6oz) - $2631.58 (33.3oz)
Sandalwood Essential Oil (East Indian)
USD $29.99 (1/6oz) - $3201.75 (33.3oz)
Sandalwood Organic Essential Oil
USD $25.99 (1/6oz) - $2807.02 (33.3oz)
Citronella Essential Oil (Java)
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $4440.79 (396lbs)
Lavender Organic Essential Oil
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $16328.95 (374lbs)
Tea Tree Essential Oil - AAA (Australia) - Verified by ECOCERT / Cosmos Approved
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $9018.75 (407lbs)
Tea Tree Organic Essential Oil (China)
USD $6.99 (1/2oz) - $13156.58 (396lbs)
Peppermint Essential Oil (Supreme) - Verified by ECOCERT / Cosmos Approved
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $5790.79 (396lbs)
Peppermint Essential Oil (Japanese) - Verified by ECOCERT / Cosmos Approved
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $4251.32 (396lbs)
Peppermint Supreme Organic Essential Oil
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $1209.68 (26.4lbs)
Lavender Essential Oil (Bulgaria) - Verified by ECOCERT / Cosmos Approved
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $11842.11 (396lbs)
Lavender Essential Oil (France)
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $2756.88 (44lbs)
Lavender Essential Oil - Population
USD $5.99 (1/2oz) - $3062.50 (44lbs)
New Directions Aromatics Inc.
All rights reserved.