HANDMADE ESSENTIAL OIL GIFT IDEAS FOR FATHER'S DAY
Dads are the pillars of strength and support in the family. From tucking you into bed to pushing you on the swings at the park and helping you move into your first university residence. You always knew you could count on dad to be a shoulder to cry on after a bad day, or to remove the creepy spider you found in your room. Nobel father figures are scattered throughout our lives and can be found in uncles, grandfathers, fathers-in-law, and extended family members. For a lifetime of love, lessons, and wisdom, it can be tricky to find the right gift that expresses your gratitude for that important figure in your life. After all, buying dad another tie may not do justice in showing him how much he means to you. Homemade gifts using the best Essential Oils and natural ingredients are thoughtful and customizable, allowing you to tailor them to your dad's favorite scents and skincare needs. From shave gel and aftershave to beard oil and muscle rub, you'll be sure to find an aromatic gift that will make the father figures in your life feel appreciated and cared for on his special day! Discover seven unique personal care formulations that any dad can incorporate into his everyday routine and try our low-waste gift wrapping suggestions that will capture his eye and his heart.
ESSENTIAL OILS AND SYNERGY BLENDS FOR FATHER'S DAY
While Essential Oils and Synergy Blends are gender-neutral, there are many scent profiles that are associated with men's personal care. Although some of the recipes below use specific Essential Oils, they are all highly customizable. Whether the father figure in your life likes woodsy, spicy, herbaceous, zesty citrus or minty cool scents, there is sure to be an oil or blend that will complement his style! For a Father's Day gift made with love, we recommend the following Essential Oils:
- Pine Essential Oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Cedarwood Essential Oil
- Thyme Essential Oil
- Rosemary Essential Oil
- Lemongrass Essential Oil
- Vetiver Essential Oil
If you want to gift your dad a unique Essential Oil blend but are overwhelmed by mixing and matching different scent profiles, try one of the following Synergy Blends to awaken his senses!
Fitness – For the active dad, cool Wintergreen Oil and penetrating Camphor Oil can provide mental and physical relief after an intense workout or playing games with the kids.
Invigorating – For the dad that wears many hats in life but calls himself a 'Family Man' first. Everything he does is for the ones he loves, so this blend of Rosemary, Lemongrass, and spice oils will keep him sharp throughout all his endeavors.
Pain Relief – Pain can slow down even the best father figures, so when flareups strike, let dad know you got him covered. Cooling Peppermint, Clove, Wintergreen, and Helichrysum Oils work synergistically to target tight muscles and provide temporary relief.
Pillager's Potion - Versatile and beloved by NDA staff, Pillager's Potion is multipurpose and has a medium aroma, perfect for those who don't like too much fragrance. Clove Bud, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus, Rosemary, and Tea Tree Oils work synergistically to create a pleasant scent that is perfect for homemade cologne.
Vitality – Featuring Lavender, Lemongrass, Mandarin, Patchouli, Geranium, Ylang-ylang, and Juniper Berry Oils. You know you can count on dad to support you no matter what. This Father's Day, gift your dad a revitalizing blend that will support his mental, physical, and emotional wellbeing.
DIY FATHER'S DAY GIFT IDEAS WITH ESSENTIAL OILS
1. MOISTURIZING SHAVE GEL FOR MEN (source: Recipes with Essential Oils)
- 4 tablespoons Aloe Vera Gel
- 1 teaspoon Almond Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Vegetable Glycerin
- 1/2 teaspoon Vitamin E Oil
- 3 drops Orange Essential Oil
- 2 drops Cedarwood Essential Oil
- 2 oz squeeze bottle with dispenser
- Liquid measuring cup or funnel to pour
- Combine all ingredients in a small liquid measuring cup. Stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the squeeze bottle.
To use: Squeeze a quarter-sized amount into your hand and smooth over your face and neck. Shave as usual.
Store in a cool, dark place. This recipe will keep for 3 months.
2. NATURAL ESSENTIAL OIL AFTERSHAVE (source: Recipes with Essential Oils)
- 1-ounce Witch Hazel
- 1/2 teaspoon Almond Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable glycerin
- 3 drops of Vitamin E oil
- 8 drops of Sandalwood Essential Oil
- 4 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil
- distilled water
- In the lotion bottle, pour the Witch Hazel, Almond Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Vitamin E, and Essential Oils.
- Fill the rest of the bottle with distilled water.
- Secure the lid and shake vigorously to combine ingredients.
To use: Shake before each use. Dispense a small amount into your hand and rub your hands together. Gently apply to freshly shaven skin.
3. DIY BEARD OIL RECIPE (source: Recipes with Essential Oils)
- 1/2 oz Sweet Almond Oil (or Carrier Oil of choice)
- 1/2 oz Jojoba Oil (or Carrier Oil of choice)
- 3 drops of Clove essential oil
- 3 drops of White Fir essential oil
- 2 drops of Bergamot essential oil
- 2 drops of Lemon essential oil
- 1 glass bottle with dropper or PET plastic pump bottle
- Pour sweet almond oil and jojoba oil into the bottle.
- Add your essential oils and shake to blend.
4. DIY LIP BALM (source: Natural Living Family)
- 1 Tablespoons Beeswax
- 3 Tablespoons Carrier Oil of choice
- 2½ teaspoons Shea Butter
- 5 drops of Vitamin E Oil
- 2 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
- 15-16 lip balm tubes or metal tins
- Glass measuring cup or jar
- Set a glass measuring cup or a jar into a saucepan with an inch of water in it to create a double boiler. Melt the wax, coconut oil, and shea butter in the jar over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in the Vitamin E and essential oils.
- Carefully pour into tubes or small tins.
- Let cool.
5. HAIR WAX FOR MEN (source: Mom off Track)
- 1/4 cup Carnauba Wax
- 1/4 cup Shea Butter
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp Jojoba Oil
- 1 tbsp Vitamin E Oil
- 5 drops Cedarwood
- 3 drops Thyme
- 5 drops Rosemary
- Double boiler
- Aluminum canisters
- Melt all ingredients except Essential Oils in a double boiler
- Remove from heat and stir in Essential Oils
- Pour into Metal containers and allow to harden for 3 days before using
6. HOMEMADE MUSCLE RUB (source: Mom Off Track)
- 1/2 cup of Coconut Oil
- 30 drops Pain Relief or Fitness Synergy Blend
- 10 drops Copaiba Balsam Essential Oil
- 4 oz. glass jar
- Melt the coconut oil in a double boiler or microwave until just melted.
- In a small bowl, combine the essential oils with the melted coconut oil. Mix until completely blended.
- Pour into a 4 oz glass jar for storing.
- Store in a very cool, dark place where the cream will become solid.
7. ALL-NATURAL HOMEMADE BAR SOAP (source: Pink Fortitude)
- Goats Milk Melt and Pour Base
- 20 drops of Thyme Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Lemongrass Essential Oil
- Dried Rosemary (optional)
- Large glass measuring cup
- Silicone Soap Mold
- Cut out the desired amount of soap base squares.
- At half power, heat the soap in a large glass container or glass measuring cup at 30-second intervals. Depending on your microwave, this should take a total of 90 seconds to two minutes.
- Let cool for one minute.
- Stir and add the essential oils.
- Depending on how large the dried rosemary is, you may want to crush it in your palms. Add to the mixture and stir again.
- Ideally, you will want to pour the soap mixture through a funnel into the soap molds. It helps to minimize the bubbles. But if you don't have one and don't mind a few bubbles, it's optional.
- Pour almost to the top of the soap molds.
- Let sit for four hours at room temperature.
- Gently remove from the silicone molds.
- The ratio is three squares of soap base per one bar of this size (3x2x1). So, for example, if you want to make three bars of soap, you will want to cut out 9 squares.
- The ratio of essential oils is 20 drops of Thyme Oil and 10 drops of Lemongrass Oil per one bar. Use can use more or less until you reach your desired scent strength.
- The ratio of Rosemary is 1 TBSP per one bar. Use more or less to your preference.
STORING YOUR DIY FATHER'S DAY GIFTS
Any liquid recipe involving Essential Oils are best stored in dark Amber or dark Blue glass bottles. If stored in plastic, the oils may dissolve the plastic and contaminate other ingredients in the product (apart from PET plastic bottles). For recipes with runny consistencies such as the Aftershave and Beard Oil, a dropper bottle or a glass bottle with a dispensing or lotion pump is recommended.
For recipes that have salve-like consistencies, such as the muscle rub and the hair wax, aluminum or glass jars are recommended. The Cobalt Blue, Classic Frosted, and the Kosma Jars are convenient and stylish choices to complement your unique handmade gifts. Many of the recipes listed can be stored at room temperature. However, if your home experiences excess heat, you can store formulations such as the Muscle Rub in the refrigerator. The cream will harden and solidify but will melt upon contact with the skin.
GIFT WRAPPING IDEAS
Capture dad's eye and heart with ribbons and wrapping paper in his favorite color and add handwritten labels to add to the crafty and homemade vibe. If you're looking for a low-waste gift wrap that won't compromise style, Kraft Paper is a biodegradable and recyclable option that gives any gift a natural, rustic look. For an even more personalized and unique option, leftover newspaper is an accessible and recyclable alternative to traditional wrapping paper. Choose a page with an article that your father figure would typically enjoy reading to wrap your gift in a thoughtful way.
Elevate any gift wrapping by incorporating herbs such as pinecones, cinnamon sticks, dried plants, or dried orange slices.
New Directions Aromatics Inc.
All rights reserved.