THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS & RECIPES FOR FOOT CARE
From the moment we learn to walk, our feet propel us on our journey throughout the world. Between long hours standing at your job, walking long distances, exercising, and wearing tight shoes or heels, your feet are bound to become worn out and sore by the end of the day. However, our feet are often neglected when practicing self-care or winding down at the end of the day. There are 26 muscles in the feet that work hard to support the body from morning till night, so taking a few extra minutes to massage the different pressure points can rejuvenate your foot muscles and in turn restore the skin and improve your overall well-being. Additionally, pairing a few minutes of foot care with aromatic essential oils can have a positive impact on your health. Continue reading to discover the benefits of caring for your feet, as well as the best essential oils for foot care and how to use them.
WHY SHOULD YOU USE ESSENTIAL OILS TO CARE FOR YOUR FEET?
After a long day on your feet, taking some time to care for your feet when winding down can help promote physical and mental well-being. Our feet bear the weight of our entire body, helps to balance our posture, and support every movement. By the end of the day, our feet are bound to have some wear and tear. Massaging your toes, ankles, and soles with healing essential oils can restore the skin, alleviate tension, and even signal the body that it is time to relax at the end of the day. The skin on the feet is thicker, less sensitive, and possesses pores that are larger than those on the rest of the body. This makes the feet an ideal place to apply essential oils as a part of a self-care routine because the skin is less likely to have an adverse reaction. However, it is still important to dilute essential oils with a carrier oil prior to any topical application.
Furthermore, there are numerous pressure points on the feet, meaning specific areas. correspond to specific organs and parts of the body. Therefore, applying pressure to certain parts of the feet can cause a change in the body and even generate a calming and soothing sensation. Practicing regular footcare with the help of aromatic oils can loosen tight muscles and restore the feet so that they are in better shape for the next day.
THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS FOR FOOT CARE
Lavender Essential Oil - Reputed to possess abundant relaxing properties, Lavender Essential Oil can be applied to sore and tired feet at the end of a long day. Its constituents may relieve any tightness in the muscles, while Lavender Oil's calming aroma can soothe the senses. This oil is recommended for use in a foot massage prior to bedtime.
Lemon Essential Oil - Refreshing and energizing, Lemon Essential Oil's zesty scent can remove any odors that can occur from prolonged movement, perspiration, and footwear. Citrus oils are also believed to have an uplifting effect on the mind and body, making Lemon oil ideal for use throughout the day to sharpen and energize the senses.
Rosemary Essential Oil - Known for its soothing and stimulating aroma, Rosemary Oil has been used in ancient medicine for its ability to relieve aches and pains. Aromatically, Rosemary can potentially energize the mind and body while eliminating odors. It is also believed to promote healthy circulation.
Cypress Essential Oil - Cypress Oil is known for its distinct woody aroma that is balanced by smoky and dry, or green and earthy undertones. It is reputed to possess astringent and cleansing properties, while also exhibiting a grounding scent.
Peppermint Essential Oil - For a midday pick-me-up, apply this cooling and stimulating oil to uplift your senses. It is believed to cool the skin and alleviate tired muscles, as well as to promote healthy circulation, among other peppermint oil benefits.
Lemongrass Essential Oil - Lemongrass Oil possesses a clean and citrusy aroma that can uplift and energize the senses. This oil is also believed to possess analgesic properties that can help treat soreness in the muscles and joints.
Juniper Berry Essential Oil - Possessing antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, Juniper Berry Oil exhibits cleansing and detoxifying activity when applied topically. It is also believed to reduce aches and pains when massaged into specific areas of the body. Juniper Berry's exotic woody, spicy, and subtly camphoraceous aroma is believed to exhibit a grounding and calming effect, suitable for applying to tired feet at the end of the day.
ESSENTIAL OIL RECIPES FOR OPTIMAL FOOT CARE
1. SOOTHING ESSENTIAL OIL FOOT BATH (source: Loving Essential Oils)
- 2 drops Juniper Berry Essential Oil
- 2 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 1/4 cup Epsom Salt
- 1 teaspoon Jojoba Oil
- Place all the ingredients into a basin of warm water.
- Swirl to blend the oils and water.
- Place feet in and let soak for 15 minutes, or until water becomes too cool.
2. SORE FEET MASSAGE OIL (source: Loving Essential Oils)
- 4 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 4 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 4 drops Sweet Marjoram Essential Oil
- 2 tbsp Coconut Carrier Oil
- 2 oz glass jar
- Melt the Coconut Oil slightly by placing the container into a warm bath.
- Add essential oils into the empty glass jar.
- Once the Coconut Oil is melted, add it to the glass jar and blend well with the essential oils.
- Allow the mixture to cool to a solid.
- Scoop out a small amount and rub into feet.
3. OIL BLEND FOR DRY AND CRACKED FEET (source: Way of Will)
- 30 mL Jojoba Carrier Oil
- 6 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 5 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 2 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- Dark amber glass dropper bottle
- Add ingredients to the dropper bottle and shake to combine.
4. EXFOLIATING FOOT SCRUB WITH ESSENTIAL OILS (source: Dr Axe)
- 1 cup sea salt
- 1 tbsp Olive Carrier Oil
- 1 tbsp Coconut Carrier Oil
- 5 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 5 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 5 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- Medium-to-large sized bowl
- Spoon for mixing
- Glass jar with a tight-fitting lid
- Add the sea salt, Olive Oil, and Coconut Oil to the bowl and blend well.
- Add the essential oils and blend again.
- Transfer the mixture to the jar and store in a cool, dark place.
- Scoop a small amount of scrub with a spoon and rub onto wet feet.
- This scrub can even be used on the ankles and calves.
- To enhance the benefits of this scrub, leave it on for 10-15 minutes and relax.
- Rinse the scrub off the feet. Towel dry your feet and follow up with your favorite moisturizer and a pair of socks.
- Since this recipe does not have any preservatives, try not to dip the spoon too deep into the container to avoid contamination.
- Be sure you are sitting down and are relaxed when using this foot scrub.
- To avoid dripping the mixture onto the floor, it is recommended for use in the shower or tub.
HOW TO TREAT YOUR FEET WITH AN ESSENTIAL OIL MASSAGE
Prior to using Essential Oils in a foot massage, it is important to start with clean skin. Wash your feet with body wash or soap and follow up with a foot soak if desired. Towel dry the feet to reveal fresh and clean skin that will absorb the oils. Make sure you are sitting in a comfortable seat. Apply 1 teaspoon of your favorite massage oil to your hands and rub them together.
For the massage, begin by rubbing the skin between each of your toes for about 5 seconds. Since the skin is thin, the oils will absorb the easiest in this area. Then, work your way down to the bottom of your foot, massaging up and down from the toes to the heel in small circular motions. Pay extra attention to the areas of the foot that are especially sore or sensitive, and add more massage oil if needed. Take deep breaths as you conduct your personal foot massage, ensuring you are breathing in the aroma and are relaxing.
Once your foot massage is complete, put on a pair of socks so the oils can soak into your skin. This also prevents potential slips and falls, as well as ensures the oil doesn't get all over the floor or bed sheets.
CONTRAINDICATIONS FOR ESSENTIAL AND CARRIER OILS
As with all other New Directions Aromatics products, the Essential Oils and Carrier Oils mentioned are for external use only. They should not be ingested and should not be stored within the reach of children, in case of accidental ingestion. As with Essential and Carrier Oils, a patch test should be conducted on the inner arm or another generally insensitive area of skin, using a dime-size amount of the specified oil to check for sensitivities. An absence of an allergic response within 48 hours suggests that the oil is safe to use.
The topical application of most carrier oils is generally known to be safe with responsible use, but irritations, allergies, rashes, and other side effects are possible. In the chance of an allergic reaction, discontinue use of the product and see a doctor, pharmacist, or allergist immediately for a health assessment and appropriate remedial action. To prevent side effects, consult with a medical professional prior to use.
Essential or carrier oils must never be used near the eyes, inner nose, and ears, or on any other particularly sensitive areas of skin.
- 8 RECIPES FOR RELAXATION WITH LAVENDER OIL
- FRANKINCENSE OIL RECIPES TO ELEVATE YOUR WELL-BEING
- 14 DIY PEPPERMINT OIL RECIPES TO COOL, UPLIFT, & REVIVE!
- DIFFUSER, MASSAGE, AND COSMETICS RECIPES WITH TEA TREE OIL
- OREGANO OIL FOR AROMATHERAPY, MASSAGES & COSMETICS
- 17 WAYS TO PURIFY & PROTECT WITH EUCALYPTUS OIL
- 4 STIMULATING WAYS TO REJUVENATE WITH ROSEMARY OIL
- 21 WAYS TO USE 'LIQUID SUNSHINE'
- ENCHANTING ESSENTIAL OILS FOR VALENTINE'S DAY
- TOP 10 ESSENTIAL OILS FOR THE COLD WEATHER
- TRAVEL ESSENTIALS: MUST-HAVE ESSENTIAL OIL BLENDS FOR TRAVEL
- SAFE ESSENTIAL OILS FOR KIDS & HOW TO USE THEM
- TOP 10 ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SPRING TO REFRESH, UPLIFT, & BOOST IMMUNITY
- ESSENTIAL OILS FOR SLEEP
- SYNERGY BLEND OIL: A CONCOCTION WITH POWERFUL EFFICACY
- ESSENTIAL OILS FOR MEDITATION AND SPIRITUAL PRACTICES
- ESSENTIAL OILS AND CARRIER OILS FOR HEALTHY AND STRONG NAILS
- ALL-NATURAL RECIPES TO CELEBRATE INTERNATIONAL COFFEE DAY
- ESSENTIAL OILS TO SUPPORT WOMEN'S HEALTH
- BEST ESSENTIAL OIL DIFFUSER BLENDS FOR THE HOLIDAYS
- THE BEST ENERGY BOOSTING ESSENTIAL OILS
- ESSENTIAL OILS FOR TREATING COLD SYMPTOMS
- 6 ESSENTIAL OILS THAT IMPROVE INDOOR AIR QUALITY
New Directions Aromatics Inc.
All rights reserved.