SYNERGY BLEND OIL: A CONCOCTION WITH POWERFUL EFFICACY
- Synergy and synergetic blending are processes where the chemical properties, healing benefits, and complementary scents of essential oils are blended to create a harmonizing result that is more powerful than the effect certain essential oils can produce on their own.
- Essential oils possess potent constituents that transmits healing benefits based on the plant they are derived from.
- Synergy blends are crafted carefully to serve a specific purpose. Whether it is to calm anxiety, promote focus and productivity, target a skin condition such as acne or dark spots, or to relieve pain, the essential oils chosen for any given synergy blend are integral to one another and to the intended purpose.
- A synergy blend consists of assorted essential oils depending on how quickly they evaporate, each oil serves as a top note, middle note, and base note.
- When choosing compatible oils for formulating a synergistic blend, scent family, evaporation rate, and healing properties are taken into consideration.
- Blending counteractive oils can produce an unflattering scent and even diminish the therapeutic effects of the individual oils.
A RECAP ON SYNERGY IN AROMATHERAPY
In the vast and oftentimes daunting world of essential oils and aromatherapy, synergy blends can take the guess work out of choosing an oil that produces maximum benefits. With so many individual oils targeting different physical, mental, and emotional concerns, one is bound to find a singular oil that speaks to them. However, when blended correctly, the synergistic ingredients of the chosen oils can increase their healing benefits. Synergy blends usually serve a specific purpose, such as promoting productivity or purifying the air in a room where it is being diffused. To define it simply, synergy is the harmonization that occurs when two or more elements work together. As natural health and wellness has gained widespread attention and popularity in recent years, the concept of synergy has been explored and implemented in many aspects of overall health, including aromatherapy.
WHY OPT FOR A SYNERGY BLEND?
Singular essential oils can be simplistic and one-dimensional on their own. When carefully measured and blended by experts, complementary essential oils can elevate the healing effects of one another and deliver a more powerful result. At New Directions Aromatics, synergy blends are crafted with essential oils that are chosen based on their correlation in scent, therapeutic benefits, and vaporization. According to our archives, synergistic blending requires an understanding of the theory behind synergy and how it works in a holistic context. A typical synergy blend consists of up to 10 essential oils that are categorized as top, middle, and base notes. To achieve a unique and specific result, background experience and knowledge in essential oils are crucial.
Synergy blends can also be more cost effective and accessible than purchasing individual essential oils. Due to their harmonizing nature and increased potency, synergy blends can increase the already existing benefits of the individual essential oils used, therefore providing value for your money.
COMPOSITION OF A SYNERGY BLEND
What makes a well-balanced synergy blend? What is the proper ratio of each essential oil that goes into a synergy blend? The anatomy of the synergy blend consists of a balanced structure of top, middle, and base notes. Each layer of notes varies in scent, potency, and absorption to support the overall effect of the synergy blend. The top note is the most mild and elusive since it is the first layer the user experiences. Top note essential oils have more instantaneous effects such as awakening and diminishing fatigue.
Often referred to as "heart notes", the middle notes are the most balanced oils and affects overall cognitive and physical health. Middle notes are more potent than top notes but not quite as strong as base notes. Supporting the two previous layers of any given synergy blend is the base note. As the most potent and long-lasting note, the base essential oil is the driving force that serve the specific purpose of the blend. While top and middle notes can help ease tension and provide comfort, the base note addresses more potent issues such as anxiety, anger, or stress.
When crafting the most beneficial synergy blend, the degree in which each note is blended make a significant difference in the oil's performance. In the typical ratio of the synergy blend, the middle note occupies the largest amount, occupying 75% of the formula. Meanwhile, the top note takes up 20%, and the base note only 5% of the formula. However, to create more balance between the notes and to make the top and base more prominent, another ideal ratio includes the 3:5:2. The distribution is 30% for the top note 50% for the middle, and 20% for the base note.
UNDERSTANDING THE CHEMICAL FAMILIES
An essential oil's chemical properties determines their ability to harmonize or clash with other oils. For example, in the chemical family of Phenols, the connotations include but are not limited to Carvacrol, Eugenol, and Safrole. These elements make phenols antibacterial and antifungal. A synergy blend that is phenol-based may be ideal for adding to homemade all-purpose cleaner. Phenols can be found in Thyme, Clove, Cinnamon, and Oregano. Similarly, Oxides has constituents of Bisabolo Oxides A and B, and can also be antibacterial and antiviral. Oxides can be found in Eucalyptus, Rosemary, and Tea Tree. However, just because certain essential oils fall into the above classifications, does not necessarily mean that any given oil can only be used to produce one type of effect. For example, Eucalyptus oil's anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory benefits makes it ideal for alleviating mental health issues and physical pain. However, its anti-bacterial properties also make it an ideal element when creating blends that aid in cleaning surfaces around the home.
However, these effects won't be apparent in a synergy blend. The effects of synergies are described as ones that create a more abstract experience. When blended correctly, the harmonization of a synergy blend is complementary but not overpowering of one another. The combination of top, middle and base notes can also produce effects that are not always apparent.
A GUIDE TO SYNERGY BLEND VARIETIES AND BENEFITS
AGE DEFYING SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Lavender, Mandarin, Geranium, Palmarosa, Ylang Ylang, Frankincense, and Helichrysum.
Aromatic Description: Frankincense and Lavender are the most prominent scents upon first whiff. The Mandarin and Ylang Ylang notes are secondary are more apparent in prolonged usage.
- The synergistic blend reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, ang age spots.
- Can help slow the signs of aging.
- Skin looks rejuvenated and luminous
APHRODISIAC SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Coriander seed, Juniper Berry, Orange Sweet, Palmarosa, Geranium, Cardamom, and Patchouli.
Aromatic Description: Spicy and sensual, the Coriander seed and Cardamom oils are supported by the Orange Sweet and Juniper Berry to add warmth.
- The oils of this synergy blend were carefully chosen to give off a romantic and sensual vibe.
- Great for creating an atmosphere to encourage passion and self love.
BREATHE EASY SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Ravintsara, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Laurel Leaf, Peppermint, and Cardamom.
Aromatic Description: Cool and mild, Eucalyptus and Peppermint oils drive the clarifying effect of this blend. Cardamom's spicy notes bring balance but are much more subtle.
- Sedative to the senses with its warming and cooling effect.
- May clarify the respiratory tract.
- Aids in deepening and regulating the breath.
- Can help reduce symptoms of allergies, head colds, or sinusitis.
- Also recommended for use during meditation and breathwork.
CELLULITE SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Grapefruit, Cedarwood, Sage, Juniper Berry, Fennel Sweet, Pepper Black, Litesea Cubeba, Lemon, and Fir Needle.
Aromatic Description: Cellulite synergy blend has a warmer, sweeter aroma profile.
- Synergistic blend consists of essentials oils with firming, detoxifying, and stimulating qualities.
- Fades the appearance of cellulite and spider veins.
- Can increase circulation, skin feels tighter.
FITNESS SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Camphor, Pine, and Wintergreen.
Aromatic Description: Cool but not minty, Pine and Wintergreen balance the strong fragrance of Camphor oil.
- Soothing qualities from Wintergreen and Camphor oils.
- May release tension after intense exercise.
- Tingling and cooling sensation when applied topically.
HEAD EASE SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Peppermint, Basil Sweet, Rosemary, Chamomile, Wintergreen, Frankincense, Lavender, and Marjoram Sweet.
Aromatic Description: This blend is invigorating and peppy. The expert balance of Peppermint and Basil Sweet give it a simultaneously sweet and cooling effect to the senses. Wintergreen and Rosemary prolong the initial cooling effect in a more subtle way.
- Synergistically eases tension, headaches, and migraines with the chosen oils' anti-inflammatory properties.
- Calming and stimulating.
- Recommended for diffusing in offices and workspaces.
HOLIDAY SPIRIT SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Cinnamon, Spruce, Ylang Ylang, Pine, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Orange, and Grapefruit.
Aromatic Description: Orange is the leading note in this festive blend. Nutmeg and Cardamom add a warm, spicy, and subtly sweet element to the aroma.
- Notes of zest and holiday spice inspire a cheery vibe and a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- Recommended for entertaining guests.
IMMUNITY SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Orange, Lemon, Tea Tree, Rosemary, Frankincense, and Eucalyptus.
Aromatic Description: Balancing the top note of orange essential oil, Eucalyptus assumes the role of the middle note. Eucalyptus possesses expectorant properties, relieving congestion and improving respiratory health. As a base note in this blend, the subtle but potent Frankincense oil serves as the perfect foundation with its woody, earthy qualities, allowing the brilliant orange scent to take the lead. Frankincense also contributes as a healing agent by stimulating, protecting, and maintaining immune system health.
- With spring around the corner and the COVID-19 pandemic still being in effect, this blend can aid in building your defenses against colds and sinus infections during the changing seasons.
- Lemon and Orange essential oils are naturally detoxifying and are believed to be helpful in relieving cold and flu symptoms, while also clearing nasal passages.
- Eucalyptus possesses expectorant properties, relieving mild congestion and supplementing respiratory health. It is believed to be a decongestant, relieve inflammation as well as chest infections.
INVIGORATING SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Rosemary, Juniper Berry, Lemongrass, Nutmeg, Fir Balsam, Pepper Black, and Lemon.
Aromatic Description: This blend is brilliant without being too citrusy. Lemongrass assumes the role of the middle note while being supported by top notes Rosemary and Juniper Berry and by Nutmeg and Fir Balsam as bottom notes.
- Awakens the senses, potentially energizing when in use.
- Adds brilliance to any room, especially when used in offices and workspaces.
MENTAL CLARITY SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Grapefruit, Bergamot, Basil, and Lemon.
Aromatic Description: The citrus notes are prominent without being overpowering. The Basil oil brings a sharp layer with its spicy, sweet, and balsamic scent, toning down the citrus layers.
- These oils are believed to increase mental focus and boost productivity.
- Recommended use when working on large projects and task requiring levelheadedness and decisiveness.
PAIN RELIEF SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Peppermint, Clove, Wintergreen, and Helichrysum.
Aromatic Description: Minty and cooling, the Clove oil contributes to the invigorating aroma and matches the peppermint oil in strength.
- Targets tight muscles to ease and loosen tension.
- Recommended for topical use. Pair Pain Relief with balms, lotions, or creams that target inflammation, swelling and pain.
PILLAGER'S POTION SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Clove Bud, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus, Rosemary, and Tea Tree.
Aromatic Description: Spicy Clove Bud is the star of the show upon first use. Eucalyptus and Tea Tree match the potency of the Clove Bud oil with cool, crisp scents.
- This blend includes oils that have anti-bacterial properties, so Pillager's can help increase immunity while reducing airborne bacteria.
- Can improve respiratory system function.
- Recommended for diffusing in the home, office, or workspace.
RELAX SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Blood Orange, Bergamot, Grapefruit, Patchouli, and Ylang Ylang.
Aromatic Description: Bergamot and Blood Orange makes this synergy blend refreshing and zesty upon first experience, while Patchouli and Ylang Ylang brings balance with warm, earthy aromas.
- The synergy of these oils promotes a relaxing and pleasant effect.
SENSUAL SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Lavender, Orange, Geranium, Cedarwood, Marjoram, Frankincense, Lemongrass, Mandarin, and Petitgrain.
Aromatic Description: Floral and fruity, Lavender and Orange provide sweetness, while Cedarwood and Frankincense add an earthy balance.
- This flirty blend synergistically engages the senses in an intimate way.
TRANQUILITY SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Lavender, Mandarin, Geranium, Marjoram Sweet, Frankincense, Palmarosa, Ylang Ylang.
Aromatic Description: The mildest scent profile of all the synergy blends. Frankincense and Ylang Ylang are woody notes that counteract the warmth of Lavender and Mandarin. Overall, the aroma is well-balanced.
- Promotes a sense of deep relaxation.
VITALITY SYNERGY BLEND
Essential Oils: Lavender, Lemongrass, Mandarin, Patchouli, Geranium Egypt, Ylang Ylang, and Juniper Berry.
Aromatic Description: Upon first use, the earthy notes of Lavender and Lemongrass produce an immediately grounding effect on the mind. Mandarin and Ylang Ylang are also prominent, creating subtle spice to balance the overall scent profile.
- Refreshing and revitalizing scent.
- Improves focus.
- Recommended for diffusing in offices and workspaces.
CAUTION WHEN USING SYNERGY BLENDS
While increased potency and harmonizing scents may seem desirable, synergy blends do not come without its own risks to consider. Similar to individual essential oils, synergy blends can trigger sensitivities and should not be used undiluted. Since these special blends tend to have an increased potency, they may be too strong to function optimally in specific contexts or on certain individuals.
Despite the synergistic ability to heighten the oils' abilities to serve a specific purpose, the final packaging and marketing of any crafted synergy blend is going to reflect this purpose. This makes the blend seem less flexible when considered for usage in any other context. Oftentimes, the individual essential oils chosen for a synergy blend can be used topically for skincare needs, while also possessing antibacterial and antifungal properties ideal for natural alternatives for household cleaning products.
Although essential oils have been used for holistic practices for centuries, it is the recent mainstream appeal of these oils that have inspired consumers to look for more optimal ways to utilize their healing properties. A thoroughly formulated synergy blend offers powerful efficacy for the mind and body and understanding the composition of these unique blends can help you in choosing the blend that is right for you.
New Directions Aromatics Inc.
All rights reserved.