SEA BUCKTHORN: A VIBRANTLY RICH CARRIER OIL
- Sea Buckthorn berries are naturally abundant in Antioxidants, Phytosterols, Carotenoids, skin-supporting Minerals, and Vitamins A, E, and K.
- Sea Buckthorn berries, seeds, and oil have been used for thousands of years to treat numerous health concerns and was hailed as the Holy Fruit of the Himalayas.
- NDA's Sea Buckthorn Oil is extracted from the fruit using the CO2 extraction method.
- This fruit oil possesses a unique Essential Fatty Acid Profile, including Palmitic Acid, Palmitoleic Acid, Stearic Acid, Oleic Acid, Linoleic Acid, and Alpha-Linolenic Acid.
- The constituents listed contributes to the deep emollient properties of Sea Buckthorn Carrier Oil.
- NDA's Sea Buckthorn Carrier Oil is verified by ECOCERT and is COSMOS approved.
HISTORY OF SEA BUCKTHORN
Originating high in the Himalayas, Sea Buckthorn grew into a small but resilient fruit at 12,000 feet above sea level. This crop created a weather-resistant barrier by producing multiple powerful nutrients, which served as protection against harsh environmental elements and high altitudes.
The first written documentation of the Sea Buckthorn berry dates to the 13th century. It was featured in the Sibu Yi Dian, a Tibetan book of healing arts, taking up about a third of the book's contents. Hailed as the Holy Fruit of the Himalayas, Sea Buckthorn was used for thousands of years in many parts of the world to treat an array of health-related concerns. Uses for the fruit include sustaining energy levels, improving cellular health, supporting cardiovascular health, supporting the joints, treating inflammation, replenishing dry and damaged skin, improving immunity, and treating inflammatory skin conditions such as rosacea and eczema.
BENEFITS OF SEA BUCKTHORN CARRIER OIL
Sea Buckthorn berries are naturally abundant in Antioxidants, Phytosterols, Carotenoids, skin-supporting Minerals, and Vitamins A, E, and K. The luxurious oil that is extracted from the fruit yields a rich, versatile emollient that possesses a unique Essential Fatty Acid profile. Its chemical composition consists of 25.00%-30.00% Palmitic Acid C16:0, 25.00%-30.00% Palmitoleic Acid C16:1, 20.0%-30.0% Oleic Acid C18:1, 2.0%-8.0% Linoleic Acid C18:2, and 1.0%-3.0% Alpha-Linolenic Acid C18:3 (n-3).
VITAMIN A (RETINOL) is believed to:
- Promote Sebum production on dry scalp, resulting in balanced hydration on the scalp and healthy-looking hair.
- Balance Sebum production on oily skin types, promoting cell turnover and exfoliation.
- Slow down the loss of collagen, elastin, and keratin in aging skin and hair.
- Reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation and sunspots.
VITAMIN E is believed to:
- Combat oxidative stress on the skin, including the scalp.
- Support a healthy scalp by preserving the protective layer.
- Add a protective layer to hair and shine to lackluster strands.
- Stimulate collagen production, helping skin appear more supple and vibrant.
VITAMIN K is believed to:
- Help protect the existing collagen in the body.
- Support skin elasticity, easing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Promote the regeneration of hair strands.
PALMITIC ACID is believed to:
- Occur naturally in the skin and is the most common fatty acid found in animals, plants, and microorganisms.
- Act as an emollient when applied topically through lotions, creams, or oils.
- Possess emulsifying properties that prevents ingredients from separating in formulations.
- Soften the hair shaft without weight hair down.
PALMITOLEIC ACID is believed to:
- Protect against oxidative stress caused by environmental stressors.
- Promote skin cell turnover, revealing newer, healthy-looking skin.
- Increase elastin and collagen production.
- Rebalance the acid levels in the hair and scalp, restoring hydration in the process.
OLEIC ACID is believed to:
- Act as a cleansing agent and texture enhancer in soap formulations.
- Emit skin soothing properties when blended with other lipids.
- Replenishes dryness related to aging skin.
- Defend skin and hair from free radical damage.
LINOLEIC ACID is believed to:
- Help strengthen the skin's barrier, keeping impurities at bay.
- Improve water retention in the skin and the hair.
- Treat dryness, hyperpigmentation, and sensitivity.
- Maintain healthy scalp conditions, which may stimulate hair growth.
ALPHA-LINOLEIC ACID is believed to:
- Inhibit melanin production, improving hyperpigmentation.
- Possess soothing properties that are beneficial for acne-prone skin.
Due to its unique Antioxidant and Essential Fatty Acid profile, Sea Buckthorn Carrier Oil protects the integrity of the skin and promotes skin cell turnover. Hence, this oil possesses a versatility that can support an array of skin types. It can be used on its own as a primer for face and body lotion, or it can be incorporated into a skin care formulation. Fatty Acids such as Palmitic and Linoleic acids naturally occur within the skin. Topical application of oils possessing these fatty acids can help soothe skin and promote healing from inflammation. Sea Buckthorn Oil is a common ingredient in anti-aging products. Overexposure to the sun, pollution, and chemicals can trigger signs of premature aging to form onto the skin. Palmitoleic Acid and Vitamin E are believed to protect the skin against oxidative stress caused by environmental elements. Vitamins K, E, and Palmitic Acid also have the potential to enhance collagen and elastin production while preserving existing levels within the skin. Sea Buckthorn Oil is an effective emollient that targets dryness related to aging. Oleic and Stearic Acids produce a moisturizing layer that improves water retention, giving skin a healthy glow that is soft to the touch.
Sea Buckthorn Oil is equally emolliating and strengthening when applied to the hair and scalp. For scalp health, Vitamin A is believed to balance the overproduction of sebum on an oily scalp, while promoting oil production on a drier scalp. This replenishes the hair shaft and gives it a healthy sheen. Vitamin E and Linoleic Acid also has potential to maintain healthy scalp conditions that are the foundations of new hair growth. Like its skin care benefits, Oleic Acid fights free radical damage that can make hair appear dull, flat, and dry. Meanwhile, Stearic Acid possesses thickening properties that emits a fuller, more voluptuous look in the hair. Along with its ability to support skin and hair health, Sea Buckthorn also possesses cleansing properties due to its Oleic Acid content, making it suitable for soap, body wash, and shampoo formulations.
NDA's Sea Buckthorn Carrier Oil is COSMOS approved. The COSMOS-standard ensures that businesses are respecting biodiversity, using natural resources responsibly, and preserving environmental and human health when processing and manufacturing their materials. When reviewing cosmetics for certification, the COSMOS-standard inspects the origin and processing of ingredients, composition of total product, storage, manufacturing and packaging, environmental management, labelling, communication, inspection, certification, and control. For more information, visit https://www.cosmos-standard.org/
CULTIVATING AND HARVESTING QUALITY SEA BUCKTHORN
Sea Buckthorn is a salt-tolerant crop that can grow in an array of soil qualities, including in very poor soils, acidic soils, alkaline soils, and on steep slopes. However, this spiny shrub grows best in deep, well-drained sandy loam soil that is abundant in organic matter. The ideal soil pH for growing Sea Buckthorn ranges between 5.5 and 8.3, although the optimal soil pH is between 6 and 7. As a hardy plant, Sea Buckthorn can withstand temperatures of -45 degrees to 103 degrees Fahrenheit (-43 degrees to 40 degrees Celsius).
The Sea Buckthorn berries turn bright orange when they are ripe, which typically occurs between late August and early September. Despite achieving ripeness, the Sea Buckthorn fruit is difficult to remove from the tree. An estimate of 600 hours/acre (1500 hours/hectare) for fruit harvesting is expected.
EXTRACTING SEA BUCKTHORN OIL
Sea Buckthorn Carrier Oil is extracted using the CO2 method. To perform this extraction, the fruits are ground and placed in an extraction vessel. Then, CO2 gas is put under pressure to produce a high temperature. Once the ideal temperature is reached, a pump is used to transmit the CO2 into the extraction vessel where it encounters the fruit. This breaks down the trichomes of the Sea Buckthorn berries and dissolves part of the plant material. A pressure release valve is connected to the initial pump, allowing the material to flow into a separate vessel. During the supercritical phase, the CO2 acts as a "solvent" to extract the oil from the plant.
Once the oil is extracted from the fruits, the pressure is lowered so the CO2 can return to its gaseous state, dissipating quickly.
USES OF SEA BUCKTHORN CARRIER OIL
Sea Buckthorn Oil has oil balancing properties that can reduce overproduction of sebum in greasy areas, while also promoting sebum production in areas where it is lacking. For oily, dry, acne-prone, or combination skin, this fruit oil can act as an effective serum when applied after cleansing and before moisturizing. Using Sea Buckthorn Oil after using a cleanser is also beneficial for the skin barrier that may be vulnerable after washing. The Essential Fatty Acids, Vitamins, and Antioxidants can replenish any lost moisture and keep the skin cells together, giving skin a youthful, radiant appearance. Due to its soothing properties, Sea Buckthorn can be applied to areas prone to acne, discoloration, and hyperpigmentation to potentially slow the release of inflammatory cells in the skin. In skincare, the face typically receives the most amount of attention and care from everyday products and routines. However, skin on other areas, such as the neck and chest, can be equally as sensitive and thus require the same rejuvenating treatment. Due to its delicacy, the skin on the neck and chest can show early signs of aging, so applying Sea Buckthorn Carrier Oil to those areas can reduce the appearance of premature fine lines and wrinkles.
Regarding hair care, Sea Buckthorn is a wonderful addition to any natural hair care routine. It can be applied directly to the hair when layering styling products, or it can be blended with other oils or leave in conditioners to achieve a customized look that is specific to one's hair type. This Carrier Oil is also incredibly beneficial for promoting scalp health. Using Sea Buckthorn in a scalp massage can revive the hair follicles, create a healthy scalp culture, and potentially promote healthy hair growth.
Sea Buckthorn Carrier Oil is safe enough for use on its own or can be blended with other Carrier Oils such as Jojoba or Coconut. Due to its deep, reddish orange to brown hue, this oil may not be ideal for those who are sensitive to rich pigmentation. A small skin test on a hidden area of skin is recommended prior to use.
A GUIDE TO SEA BUCKTHORN CARRIER OIL
Botanical Name: Hippophae rhamnoides.
Obtained From: Fruit
Extraction Method: CO2 Extraction.
Color/ Consistency: Deep reddish orange to dark brown liquid.
Due to its unique constituent profile, Sea Buckthorn Oil is solid at cold temperatures and tends to clump up at room temperature. To reduce this, place the bottle in a carefully heated hot-water bath. Change the water continuously until the oil is more liquid in texture. Do not overheat. Shake well prior to use.
Absorption: Absorbs into skin at average speed, leaving a slight oily feeling on the skin.
Shelf Life: Users can expect a shelf life of up to 2 years with proper storage conditions (cool, out of direct sunlight). Keep away from extreme cold and heat. Please refer to the Certificate of Analysis for current Best Before Date.
CONTRAINDICATIONS FOR SEA BUCKTHORN CARRIER OIL
Unless otherwise indicated, Sea Buckthorn Carrier Oil is only intended for external uses, as with all other New Directions Aromatics products. Some individuals may experience cause skin irritation or allergic reactions when exposed to this product. For this reason, NDA recommends performing a skin patch test prior to using the product. To conduct a patch test, apply a dime-sized amount of Sea Buckthorn Oil to a small area of the skin. In the event of an adverse reaction, immediately stop using the product and seek guidance from a healthcare professional.
New Directions Aromatics Inc.
All rights reserved.