COZY ESSENTIAL OIL RECIPES FOR FALL
September 22nd marks the first official day of fall. Maybe you've already indulged in fall-inspired treats and seasonal festivities. Or you're waiting until the temperatures drop and the leaves change color. Autumn is a special time of year because the weather is just cool enough to get cozy in your favorite sweater and enjoy some seasonal baking. Holiday season also begins with Thanksgiving and Halloween underway. Pumpkins, apples, cinnamon, and spices alike compliment the autumn, making it even more festive.
You may have already planned on participating in activities such as pumpkin carving or apple picking, but for slow moments spent in the home, you can indulge your senses with fall-inspired Essential Oil blends. Since the change in the weather sometimes requires a change in personal care, aromatic oils can also act as rejuvenating ingredients that you can incorporate into your skin care routine. Savor this autumn season with spicy, citrusy, earthy, and woody essential oils, and treat your mind, body, and spirit with the warmth of aromatherapy!
HOW TO BLEND AUTUMN-INSPIRED ESSENTIAL OILS
Aromas that are warm, spicy, citrusy, and woody are typically associated with autumn. Since the temperatures are dropping, the daylight is shorter, and the leaves are changing colors, oils with warm and comforting aroma profiles are becoming more desirable. Warm spice oils such as Cinnamon Bark, Ginger, Cardamom, and Clove Bud are especially wonderful around this time of year. A combination of these oils can evoke fall-inspired treats such as apple pie, pumpkin pie, and chai tea lattes. However, spice oils such as Clove Bud are particularly strong and can easily overpower an oil blend, so if you are new to working with spice oils, begin with one oil from this category and work your way up from there.
Citrus Oils such as Orange Sweet, Bergamot, and Tangerine are also popular around the holiday season. Pairing citrus oils with spicy or woody oils can create a surprisingly festive aroma.
While summertime was about energizing and bright scents, autumn is a time for rich and full-bodied aromas to enrich your senses. Earthy essential oils such as Patchouli and Vetiver can add a grounding element and provide a balancing contrast to citrusy and spicy oils. Meanwhile, woody essential oils exhibit a balsamic quality that signifies the start of the coziest season. So, choose your favorite oils from any of the following categories, grab your warmest sweaters, and hold your loved ones close. Autumn is the perfect time to create new memories!
THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS FOR FALL
SPICY ESSENTIAL OILS
Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil - One of the cornerstone scents of autumn, Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil possesses a sweet, woody, and spicy aroma that is stimulating and energizing. This warm spice oil is also believed to possess antioxidants that can help balance emotions and enhance the mood.
Ginger Essential Oil - Ginger Essential Oil is derived from the root. It possesses a scent that is spicy, sweet, and balanced by a subtle earthy tone. Ginger's unique and warm aroma has earned the nickname "The Oil of Empowerment" because it is reputed to inspire a feeling of confidence. This is perfect for the cooler months that tend to feel dreary.
Clove Bud Essential Oil - No matter what fall activities you'll be partaking in, Clove Bud Oil is sure to pack a punch! This robust spice oil is slightly herbaceous and has a stimulating effect on the senses. Clove Bud Oil has a rich composition of phytochemicals that may uplift the mood and potentially support healthy respiration.
EARTHY ESSENTIAL OILS
Patchouli Essential Oil - Derived from the leaves of the Patchouli plant, this earthy Essential Oil is known for its warm, spicy, and musky aroma. Patchouli is believed to possess a grounding and balancing effect on the mind, body, and senses.
Vetiver Essential Oil - Hailed as 'the oil of tranquility', Vetiver's pungent scent is woody, earthy, and balsamic with a simultaneous warming and cooling effect. Vetiver is believed to possess soothing properties that can help balance intense emotions and promote mental clarity. By supporting mental and emotional wellbeing, Vetiver is also believed to boost immunity.
CITRUS ESSENTIAL OILS
Bergamot Essential Oil - Bergamot, or Citrus bergamia, is a pear-shaped citrus fruit that is characterized as a cross between the lemon and the orange. It is grown in the Calabrian coast of Italy and possesses a citrusy scent that is fruity, sweet, and balanced by a warm spice and floral notes. Bergamot's exotic aroma strikes the perfect balance to spicy fall scents and is a great Essential Oil for holiday inspired blends.
Sweet Orange Essential Oil - This fresh citrus oil is balanced by a subtle sweetness. Besides brightening any festive oil blend, Sweet Orange Oil is also ideal for autumn because its brilliant aroma adds a necessary pep to your step as the temperatures drop.
Tangerine Essential Oil - Fresh, tangy, and sweet, Tangerine Essential Oil possesses refreshing and rejuvenating properties that are characteristic of citrus oils. Tangerine is an energizing oil that can uplift the mood and encourage immunity during the cooler months.
WOODY ESSENTIAL OILS
Cedarwood Essential Oil - Cedarwood's warm and woody scent will transport you into the deep, aromatic woods. Cedarwood Oil is believed to possess grounding and soothing properties that can help balance emotions and promote a sense of well-being. Cedarwood is also believed to exhibit cleansing properties that can promote easier breathing.
Juniper Berry Essential Oil - Known for its spicy and slightly camphoraceous scent, this oil is reputed to possess antioxidant properties that replenish the skin when applied topically. Aromatically, Juniper Berry Oil is also believed to exhibit soothing properties that can ease overactive senses and promote a feeling of relaxation.
Frankincense Essential Oil - The spicy and fruity undertones of Frankincense's woody and fresh aroma are a perfect complement to autumn as well as to the holiday season. Known as 'pure incense', Frankincense is believed to promote healthy respiration and exhibit sedative properties that can soothe feelings of stress while also uplifting the mood.
ESSENTIAL OIL RECIPES INSPIRED BY AUTUMN
This fall, enhance your down time, family time, or festive get-togethers with spicy, warm, and soothing diffuser blends that feature the best scents that are characteristic to the start of the holiday season.
1. AUTUMN AIR DIFFUSER BLEND (source: Young Living Essential Oils)
Welcome the start of autumn with a blend that's reminiscent of the season's cornerstone aromas!
- 4 drops Bergamot Essential Oil
- 3 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 3 drops Elemi Essential Oil
- 2 drops Wintergreen Essential Oil
2. WARMING CHAI DIFFUSER BLEND (source: Loving Essential Oils)
If you're not a fan of all things pumpkin, spice up your space with this unique blend inspired by this tea-based hot drink.
- 2 drops Ginger Essential Oil
- 2 drops Cardamom Essential Oil
- 2 drops Black Pepper Essential Oil
- 2 drops Clove Essential Oil
3. APPLE PIE DIFFUSER BLEND (source: One Essential Community)
Keep the scent of this scrumptious dessert linger long after the last slice has been served.
- 2 drops Clove Essential Oil
- 2 drops Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
- 2 drops Ginger Essential Oil
- 1 drop Nutmeg Essential Oil (optional)
4. SWEATER WEATHER DIFFUSER BLEND (source: One Essential Community)
This blend is the perfect companion to your favorite sweater, blanket, or pair of pajamas that are sure to keep you warm as the temperatures drop.
- 3 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 2 drops Juniper Berry Essential Oil
- 1 drop Sage Essential Oil
5. FLANNEL ROOM SPRAY (source: One Essential Community)
Give your diffuser a break with this spray inspired by the soft and woven fabric.
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1/4 cup witch hazel
- 10 drops Cardamom Essential Oil
- 5 drops Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
- 10 drops Orange Sweet Essential Oil
- 5 drops Clove Essential Oil
- 1 16-oz spray bottle (glass recommended)
- Place the water into the spray bottle. Follow with the witch hazel and essential oils. Shake to combine.
PERSONAL CARE RECIPES
Indulge your mind, body, and senses with these fall-inspired skin care formulations. Body scrubs, body butters, and massage oils will nourish and protect your skin from the cooler weather while boasting autumn's festive, spicy, and warm aromas.
6. PUMPKIN SPICE BODY BUTTER (source: Happy Home Happy Heart)
This decadent body butter will replenish the early signs of chapped skin that begin to show up as the temperatures drop. Featuring pumpkin puree, emolliating coconut oil, and rich shea butter, this recipe is full of skin-loving antioxidants!
- 1 cup Shea Butter
- 1 tbsp Coconut Carrier Oil
- 2 tbsp Pumpkin Puree
- 5 drops Cinnamon Essential Oil
- 20 drops Vanilla Essential Oil
- 10 drops Ginger Essential Oil
- 5 drops Nutmeg Essential Oil
- 7 drops Orange Sweet Essential Oil
- 8 oz glass jar with a lid
- Medium-sized saucepan
- Large bowl
- Electric Mixer
- Fill a medium saucepan 1/2 way with water. Place on stove and bring to boil.
- Add 1 cup of shea butter to a glass mason jar.
- Turn off the stove and place the mason jar into the water.
- Allow shea butter to melt.
- Carefully remove the mason jar from the water.
- Pour shea butter into a bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil to the bowl.
- Add 3 tbsp of pure pumpkin to the bowl.
- Add 15 drops of cinnamon essential oil, 20 drops of vanilla essential oil, 10 drops of ginger essential oil, 7 drops of orange essential oil, and 5 drops of nutmeg essential oil to the bowl.
- Whisk together over an ice bath.
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and mix with an electric mixer for 5 minutes.
- Scoop into a small jar with a lid.
- This body butter formula should last up to 6 months minimum. Keep the lid tightly secured and store at room temperature.
7. ANTI-BACTERIAL FOAMING HAND SOAP (source: Loving Essential Oils)
This fall-inspired soap features a spicy, earthy, and clean aroma that you can feel good about as you protect yourself and your family from seasonal germs.
- 1 cup Liquid Soap 105N
- 3-4 drops Clove Bud Essential Oil
- 3-4 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 3-4 drops Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
- 3-4 drops Eucalyptus Radiata Essential Oil
- 3-4 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 10 oz foam soap dispenser
- Add ingredients to dispenser bottle and swirl to combine.
8. FALL HARVEST MASSAGE OIL (source: Loving Essential Oils)
Make 'me time' even more special with an aromatic massage oil. This blend features a unique balance of spicy, woody, and floral scents, while moisturizing Grapeseed Carrier Oil nourishes the skin.
- 7 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 5 drops Ginger Essential Oil
- 5 drops Orange Sweet Essential Oil
- 5 drops Cedarwood Essential Oil
- 2 drops Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
- 1/4 cup Grapeseed Carrier Oil
- 2 oz glass dropper bottle
- Add all ingredients into the dropper bottle and shake to combine.
- Massage oil onto the skin.
9. PUMPKIN SPICE SUGAR SCRUB
Tis the season for sugar, spice, and all things nice! Indulge in this Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub to buff away dead skin and reveal a smooth, glowing texture.
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar (packed down)
- 1/4 cup Fractionated Coconut Carrier Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3 drops Cinnamon Leaf Essential Oil
- 3 drops Ginger Essential Oil
- 2 drops Nutmeg Essential Oil
- 2 drops Cardamom Essential Oil
- Glass bowl
- 4 oz glass jar with lid
- Place brown sugar in the glass bowl. Add pumpkin pie spice to brown sugar and stir.
- Add essential oils to the fractionated coconut oil and blend in.
- Combine the oils with the sugar mixture and blend well.
- Once blended, place the sugar scrub into the 4 oz jar.
- Scoop out a small amount of sugar scrub and rub onto wet skin. Rinse off with warm water.
- Sugar scrub lasts up to 1 month.
CONTRAINDICATIONS FOR ESSENTIAL OILS
All New Directions Aromatics Essential Oils are for external use only. They should not be ingested and should not be stored within the reach of children, in case of accidental ingestion. As with essential and carrier oils, a patch test should be conducted on the inner arm or another generally insensitive area of skin, using a dime-size amount of the specified oil to check for sensitivities. An absence of an allergic response within 48 hours suggests that the oil is safe to use.
The topical application of most carrier oils is generally known to be safe with responsible use, but irritations, allergies, rashes, and other side effects are possible. In the chance of an allergic reaction, discontinue use of the product and see a doctor, pharmacist, or allergist immediately for a health assessment and appropriate remedial action. To prevent side effects, consult with a medical professional prior to use.
Essential or carrier oils must never be used near the eyes, inner nose, and ears, or on any other particularly sensitive areas of skin.
New Directions Aromatics Inc.
All rights reserved.